IUCLID (International Uniform ChemicaL Information Database) is a software application to record, store, maintain and exchange data on intrinsic and hazard properties of chemical substances. It is a key software application for both regulatory bodies and the chemical industry where it is used in the implementation of various regulatory programmes. Examples include the OECD Cooperative Chemicals Assessment Programme (CoCAP) and the EU legislation Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH).
IUCLID implements the OECD Harmonised Templates and, since its version 6, is built as a platform meant to provide regulatory authorities and industry with a set of tools to manage information on chemicals, using a common format, facilitating the reuse and exchange of the data.
|More information on the use of IUCLID by regulatory authorities can be found on the OECD website, including the report 'Customisation Opportunities of IUCLID for the Management of Chemical Data'.|
The IUCLID sofware application and its related tools are provided free of charge on this website by the European Chemicals Agency under a licence agreement.
You can also consult the IUCLID Wikipedia page in order to find more about the historical background of IUCLID.
Use of IUCLID by Regulatory Authorities
IUCLID usages and future developments are discussed at the level of the OECD IUCLID User Group Expert Panel. In this forum, Regulatory Authorities have reported how they use IUCLID and the available information is shared in this document.
More information on the context in which IUCLID is used can be found by following the links below:
- IUCLID is used to support the Australian Industrial Chemicals Introduction Scheme (AICIS). AICIS administers the Industrial Chemicals Act 2019 (and key instruments) regulating the importation and manufacture of industrial chemicals in Australia.
- Existing chemicals: environment and health
- New chemicals: environment and health
European Union (EU):
- Biocidal Product Regulation (BPR): IUCLID is used for the European Union Biocidal Products Regulation
- The Submission manual for preparing BPR registrations can be found from here.
- Classification, Labelling and Packaging regulation (CLP): IUCLID is used for the european Union CLP Regulation. It also contains the Poison Centres Notification (PCN) format specifications. For more information on the PCN format, please refer to the Poison Centres website
- The Submission manual for preparing CLP notificatoins can be found from here, and the Submission manual for PCN notifications from here.
- Regulation on Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation of Chemicals (REACH): IUCLID is used for the European Union REACH Regulation.
- The Submission manual for preparing REACH registrations can be found from here.
- Waste Framework Directive (SCIP): IUCLID supports the database which will contain the submitted information on Substances of Concern In articles, as such or in complex objects (Products) - SCIP. More information is available here
- Plant Protection Products (PPP): IUCLID is used to support Plant Protection Products and active substances dossiers in a project conducted in collaboration between ECHA and EFSA
- Joint Research Centre (JRC): EASIS database
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD):
- Existing chemicals database
New Zealand (NZ):
- Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO): IUCLID is planned to be used as the future hazardous substance database of the New Zealand EPA.
- biocidal products and new substance notifications. More information available here.
United States (US):